Friday, July 12, 2013

Lucia, Lucia

Lucia, Lucia, Adriana Trigiani
 
★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ♥

I had this on my TBR, removed it, and gave it back to the booksale.....Well thanks to this challenge & Anita, I took the time to read this and I am so very glad that I did.

What a beautiful story, well written, easy to read, believable & compelling.
The story begins w/ a young woman, who is a neighbor of Lucia's being invited to Lucia's for tea. During tea, we get to know the story of Lucia's life. We get to know her family, about her job and friends at B.Altman's in New York as a premier seamstress, her relationships w/ the men who love her, her joys & sorrows.....

Lucia is basically a very happy & independent young woman, who we see mature in to a happier & stronger woman. She isn't willing to back down from what she knows in her heart to be right. When she loves, she follows through despite the fact she knows deep within that she is headed for a crash landing. She supports her family but remains true to herself.....

These quotes from the book resonate deeply with me, as are very typical of my life: 

"....But I wish for you the same things I wish for my sons: to work and live a good life. That means you will always be able to take care of yourself" --Lucia's Father

"There isn't a man who can come along and buy me anything that I cannot earn myself." --Lucia

"My biggest problem with the opposite sex is, that I know how to be happy on my own." --Lucia

No comments:

Post a Comment